TILLAMOOK COUNTY TRANSIENT LODGING TAX (TLT)
FOR DESTINATION MANAGEMENT
In November 2013, Tillamook County voters approved a county-wide transient lodging tax (TLT), which became effective January 1, 2014. The Tillamook County Board of Commissioners (BOC) is responsible for the distribution of the County’s TLT funds for tourism-related promotion and facilities.
The allocation, use, and disbursement of TLT funds shall be consistent with ORS 320.300 to 320.350, County Ordinance #74, County Ordinance #75, any ordinance amendments, and the Policy for the Distribution of Transient Lodging Tax Funds for Destination Management, which was adopted on December 4, 2019. Through the policy, the BOC created the Tourism-Related Facilities County Grant Program and the Tourism-Related Facilities Community Grant Program.
Ordinance #74 provides that 70% of the net TLT funds be used to fund tourism promotion or tourism-related facilities; finance or refinance the debt of tourism-related facilities; and pay reasonable administrative costs incurred in financing. Except for the cost of tax collection and administration, the 30% balance is dedicated to the maintenance of County roads. An overview of the flow of funds is found in the TLT White Paper as depicted below:
strategic vision and action plan
In July 2019, following an extensive stakeholder and community review and engagement process, the County adopted the Strategic Vision and Action Plan for Tourism-Related Facilities Investments Services. For additional information on the County's strategic plan and process, please visit the project website at https://lab.future-iq.com/tillamook-tourism-investment-strategic-action-plan/. This plan identifies six key priorities to guide the County’s TLT investments:
- Invest in infrastructure that helps the community support the tourism sector.
- Protect highly sensitive ecological areas from the impacts of tourism across Tillamook County.
- Invest in infrastructure and the tools to manage the impact of tourism to avoid congestion and overuse of areas.
- Improve the tourism products and associated infrastructure (e.g.: trails, parking, signage).
- Educate visitors to be respectful and good stewards of the natural and recreation resource.
- Build collaboration within and outside the County to support coordination, solutions, and management of the tourism industry.
For the fiscal year 2019/20 grant round that opened on December 11, 2019, the BOC has allocated nearly $2.4 million in TLT funds to the following two grant programs:
- $1.5 million to the Tourism-Related Facilities County Grant Program, which supports projects in which the County is a lead, sponsor, or key participant. This program is limited to projects in which the County is a lead, sponsor, or key participant. Any entity that desires the County to serve as a project sponsor and/or project manager is eligible to apply. Entities considering County sponsorship should first meet with the County’s Chief of Staff, Rachel Hagerty (email@example.com or 503-842-3404), to determine whether an arrangement for protecting the public investment can be reached that would be satisfactory to all parties. Applicants may apply for grant funding up to $250,000.
County Grant Application Packet (Word version)
- $875,000 to the Tourism-Related Facilities Community Grant Program, which supports projects managed by non-County entities. Any city, county, or other local government, including a port, special district, or intergovernmental agency, federal and state agencies that conduct tourism-related activities or services in Tillamook County, and nonprofit organizations are eligible to apply. Applicants may apply for grant funding up to $75,000.
Community Grant Application Packet (Word version)
Effective 2/3/2020, the deadline has been extended by two weeks and the TENTATIVE timeline following the deadline is as follows:
COUNTY AND COMMUNITY GRANT PROGRAMS TIMELINE
Application open - Publication of notice
December 11, 2019
Distribution of grant cycle package
December 11, 2019 through
February 7, 2020
February 21, 2020
Application close - Receipt of applications deadline
Friday, February 7, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Friday, February 21, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Grant completeness review by County
February 14, 2020
February 28, 2020
Grant eligibility review by County Counsel
February 21, 2020
March 6, 2020
Tourism Advisory Committee reviews, scores, and ranks applications then submits recommendations to Board of Commissioners
February 24, 2020 through March 23, 2020
March 9, 2020 through
April 6, 2020
Board of Commissioners awards decision
April 1, 2020
April 15, 2020
County notification to grantees
April 6, 2020
April 20, 2020
Grantees sign, date and return grant agreements to Board of Commissioners
May 8, 2020
May 22, 2020
Board of Commissioners executes grant agreements
May 20, 2020
June 3, 2020
Project deadline (36 months from BOC decision)
March 31, 2023
April 14, 2023
VISIT TILLAMOOK COAST (Tillamook County's official tourism promotion site)